search for
Lienz in Osttirol, interactive 360 ° panoramas and virtual tours of attractions
Lienz is a medieval town in the Austrian state of Tyrol. It is the administrative centre of the Lienz district, which covers all of East Tyrol. The municipality also includes the cadastral subdivision of Patriasdorf.
Lienz is located at the confluence of the rivers Isel and Drava in the Eastern Alps, between the Hohe Tauern mountain range in the north (including the Schober and Kreuzeck groups), and the Gailtal Alps in the south. It is connected with Winklern in Carinthia by the Iselsberg Pass. The neighbouring municipality of Leisach marks the easternmost point of the Puster Valley.

By the consistent growth of the city, some smaller villages around - though officially municipalities in their own right - are now widely considered to be suburbs of Lienz.

The area of Lienz had been settled since the Bronze Age about 2000 BC. Celtic people lived here from about 300 BC on, mainly as miners, who came under control of the Roman Empire in 15 BC. The area was incorporated into the province of Noricum and Emperor Claudius had a municipium called Aguntum erected near Lienz in the today's municipality of Dölsach. Aguntum became the see of an Early Christian bishop in the 5th century but decayed during the Slavic settlement of the Eastern Alps and the subsequent fights with the Bavarii under King Tassilo I about 600. Part of the Slavic principality of Carantania, the area passed under Bavarian and finally Frankish suzerainty during the 8th century.
Bruck Castle
Lienz itself was first mentioned as Luenzina in a deed issued by the Bishop of Brixen about 1030. The settlement itself, together with neighbouring Patriasdorf, then belonged of the Patriarchs of Aquileia, who were elevated to immediate landlords by Emperor Henry IV in 1077. It was then purchased by the scions of the Meinhardiner dynasty, who held the office of Aquileian Vögte (reeves) and chose Lienz as a residence. From about 1127 they called themselves Counts of Görz (Gorizia).
Located on the important trade route from Venzone in Friuli to Salzburg, the market town of Lienz received city rights on 25 February 1242. In 1278 the Counts finished Burg Bruck, a castle that until 1500 served as their local seat. When the Meinhardiner became extinct in 1500 upon the death of Count Leonhard of Gorizia, their estates were bequeathed to the Habsburg King Maximilian I and finally incorporated into the County of Tyrol. From the status of an Imperial residence, Lienz sank to the insignificance of a provincial town within the Habsburg Monarchy.
During the Italian campaigns of the French Revolutionary Wars, Lienz was occupied twice by French troops in 1797. After the Austrian defeat at the Battle of Austerlitz, Lienz with Tyrol passed to the Electorate of Bavaria according to the 1805 Peace of Pressburg. In 1809 it became the administrative centre of a district within the short-lived Napoleonic Illyrian Provinces, but was reconquered by Austrian troops in 1813. Until 1918, the town was again part of the Austrian monarchy (Austria side after the compromise of 1867), head of the district of the same name, one of the 21 Bezirkshauptmannschaften in the Tyrol province.
After World War I the southern parts of the former Cisleithanian crown land of Tyrol (i.e. Trentino and South Tyrol) were awarded to the Kingdom of Italy under the terms of the London Pact and the 1919 Treaty of Saint-Germain, making the Lienz district of East Tyrol an exclave with no territorial connection to the mainland of North Tyrol. After the 1938 Anschluss of the Federal State of Austria into Nazi Germany, the Lienz district became a part of the "Reichsgau" of Carinthia.

On May 8, 1945 British forces occupied Lienz, which together with Carinthia and Styria became part of the British occupation zone. At this time several thousand members of the former Wehrmacht 1st Cossack Division coming from Yugoslavia had arrived in and around Lienz. They surrendered to the British troops but were forcibly repatriated to the Soviet Union.
a
 

Tourist Attractions

Bruck Castle , Museum of the town of Lienz , Lienz, Austria
CASTLE Bruck "... worthy of a prince "- that characterized the Tyrolean topographer Beda Weber Bruck Castle, the former residence of the Counts of Gorizia in his work." That Tyrol A Handbook for Travellers "(1838). The monumental castle, since 1942 owned by the town of Lienz, East Tyrol is one of the main sights and now houses the Museum of Lienz with the most extensive collection of works of the painter Albin Egger-Lienz, East Tyrol. On three sides by relatively steep, the Schlossberg upstream crest Bruck Castle was built by the Counts of Gorizia 1252-1277 as a residence castle. Bruck Castle documented as "apud Pruck Lünz" (Bruck near Lienz) is first mentioned on 10 August 1277th In the original components of Bruck Castle is evidence of Roman art have received a Biforienfenster with center column and bud capital in the keep, the painting of the ceiling beams with stylized leaf shapes and rosettes in the "Knight's Hall" and depictions of saints in the soffit of a (bricked) window in the chapel . Than 1500, the last Gorizia, Earl Leonard, died childless, the Bruck Castle King Maximilian I, the future emperor fell by inheritance contract. After one year gave Maximilian the domain of Lienz including the castle for 22,000 florins on "eternal return" solution to Baron Michael von Wolkenstein Rodenegg., The local town fire in 1609 contributed significantly to the economic decline of the family, which ended in 1642 in a bankruptcy. The transfer of the domain of Lienz and the Bruck Castle hence Tyrolean Archduke Ferdinand Karl was the result. The ladies of Haller took over in 1653 the castle, which was the seat of justice in the sequence. A sensational trial was conducted in the interrogation room at Schloss Bruck in the years 1679/80 against the "witch" Emerentia (na) Pichler (in). During the "embarrassing questioning" under torture "confessed" Emerentiana numerous offenses which the death sentence be moved to. This was against the "witch" and two of their children on 25 and 27 September 1680 enforced on the Galgentratte east of Lienz. After the abolition of Haller ladies pen 1783 by Emperor Joseph Schloss Bruck served as the imperial military field hospital, as well as barracks. From 1827, the castle is privately owned freight forwarding office, brewery and guest operating until the last private owner Ottilie Roeck was the Bruck Castle in the years 1911-1913 a total restoration on the basis of Bavarian castles like Neuschwanstein zuführte. Mitzi adopted by her (Mary) Kramer sold the Bruck Castle in 1942. New chatelaine was the town of Lienz, and it has remained so to this day. This is the preliminary culmination in the eventful history of many mistresses and masters and heralds a new era on a Bruck Castle: The former ducal castle became a museum. CASTLE Bruck Museum of Lienz Schlossberg 1, 9900 Lienz Austria Phone: +43 (0) 4852 62580 Fax: +43 (0) 4852 62580-4 email: museum@stadt-lienz.at
Tristacher lake , Lienzer Dolomiten, Lienz, Austria
Tristacher lake At the foot of the Lienz Dolomites, embedded in forest and meadow, is the only lake in East Tyrol. A popular beach with cafe, beach volleyball court and large lawn on the east side, invites to relaxation and a refreshing swim in a natural environment. From the west bank, directly at the Grand Hotel Lienz with gourmet restaurant, a path leads to the natural monument "Old Lake", which is below the impressive sea wall. Here in this silence grow rare plants and for many small animals and birds, it is a true paradise. To 24 ° C water temperature, tower diving boards, free pool bus from Lienz (from early July to late August), large paid parking on the east bank. This modern hotel on Tristacher Summer holiday in the Dolomites of Lienz Enjoy a wonderful holiday in East Tyrol, at our Grand Hotel Lienz, Lienz. Family cruiser and staff welcome you most cordially and look forward to your visit! Camping Seewiese on Tristacher Camping at Camping Seewiese, a camping Austria in Tyrol. In the heart of the Lienz Dolomites, where camping in Tyrol - East Tyrol is still pure nature. One of Austria's best campsites.
Golf Club East Tyrol Dolomites Golf , Club House, Tyrol , Lienz district , Austria
Golf Club Golf Tyrol Dolomites\n We look forward to meeting you! Located at the foot of the breathtaking scenery of the Lienz Dolomites , near the town of Lienz in Lavant , welcomes the GC Tyrol Dolomites golf with one of the finest 27 -hole championship courses in Austria . The championship course located just offers three different , distinctive 18- hole course options. The practice facility with open and covered tees, bunkers , chipping greens and putting greens is great exercise . The Dolomites Golf Academy is now one of the most professional golf schools in Austria. In our restaurant & bar in the clubhouse you can relax after a successful day of golf and spoil yourself . The large sun terrace offers a magnificent view of the golf course and the panorama of the Lienz Dolomites. The spacious reception pavilion with pro shop comes up with an extensive range of golf clothing and golf accessories. We look forward to your visit! Sincerely, Dolomites Golf Team\n\n
Dolomitenbad Lienz , East Tyrol, Tyrol , Lienz district , Austria
This pool has an attached indoor pool. Information on facilities and opening times of the swimming pool can be found here. opening times Monday 9:00 19:00 clock Tuesday 9:00 19:00 clock Wednesday 9:00 19:00 clock Thursday 9:00 19:00 clock Friday 9:00 to 19:00 clock Saturday 9:00 19:00 clock Sunday 9:00 19:00 clock No responsibility Opening times on bank holidays please click here. The bathroom is open from May to September. Information on the precise start and end of season, click here or call (04852) 63820th Items in Bath The bathroom has a separate non swimmer pool and a lap pool with a length of 50m. A 3m diving platform on a separate diving pool is also available. Furthermore, there is a multi-purpose pool, heated water, a large slide, water slide, beach volleyball, a one-meter springboard, free parking, classes, and a parent-child area with a playground. The facilities of this bath are not yet fully recognized. You can support schwimmbadcheck.at and enter it here. Thus, the benefits of the expanded search radius is increased in your area for all users. prices The prices you find on this lido www.stadt-lienz.at or call (04852) 63820th Outdoor pool Dolomitenbad Lienz Contact Dolomitenbad Lienz 9900 Lienz Right Drauweg 1b www.stadt-lienz.at Phone: +43 4852 63820
Load More Tourist Attractions View all Tourist Attractions

Popular Virtual Tours

Freiraum, Matrei Easttyrol, District Lienz, Austria
freiraum Spaces give us time and space for the things we love to do. In our fast paced life, it is a good place to know of a calm, grounded and focused on the important things in our lives. Space would be a place for you. A place of conscious life and experience. Contact: space Mag Stefanie Mattersberger Lock-and-white stone road 12 9971 Matrei in East Tyrol t. +43 664/54 06 646 f +43 4875/42 0 32-13 info@dein-freiraum.at www.dein-freiraum.at

Recently posted Virtual Tours

All seasons alpincoaster Osttirodler located at Schlossberg, Lienz, Austria
The most spectacular alpine coaster in the Alps! PUR adrenaline, even for "real men" when it really does go to the countless steep turns and jumps, waves and three gyroscopes. A ride that you can really savor to the fullest, because it may take 4.5 to 6, 7 minutes, depending on the selected speed. This is one of the longest Alpine Coaster and spekakulärsten but the world is still extremely safe and comfortable. Individually or as a couple you sit strapped in a comfortable carriage. Due to the double rail guide and the built-speed control can absolutely happen. How fast you want to actually drive itself is determined by two hand levers. The ride is breathtaking but mainly by the sensational panoramic views of Schloss Bruck, the city of the sun and the Lienz valley floor. Osttirodeln is the new trend sport in Lienz, but beware: it can be addictive In the summer of Osttirodler is open from May to October, winter from Christmas to mid-March. At Alpine Coaster ride safely guided the two-seater comfort slides, which can be used easily by one person but silently down the mountain on stainless steel tubes. The special experience for the passenger is also here is to determine the velocity itself. The Osttirodler simply braced on the ground without foundations, give firm support pegs. The athlete experienced an exciting and varied journey into some "lofty heights", as the railway between 1 and 6 meters can be installed above ground. By built jumps and wave stretching the thrill is further increased considerably. And if it's raining or snowing - no problem - the brakes are always sensational. A-9900 Lienz, Zettersfeldstraße 38 Tel Zettersfeld valley station: 0043 4852 639 75 Fax: 0043 4852 639 75 13 E-mail: info@lienzer-bergbahnen.at Web: www.lienzer-bergbahnen.at
Bruck Castle , Museum of the town of Lienz , Lienz, Austria
CASTLE Bruck "... worthy of a prince "- that characterized the Tyrolean topographer Beda Weber Bruck Castle, the former residence of the Counts of Gorizia in his work." That Tyrol A Handbook for Travellers "(1838). The monumental castle, since 1942 owned by the town of Lienz, East Tyrol is one of the main sights and now houses the Museum of Lienz with the most extensive collection of works of the painter Albin Egger-Lienz, East Tyrol. On three sides by relatively steep, the Schlossberg upstream crest Bruck Castle was built by the Counts of Gorizia 1252-1277 as a residence castle. Bruck Castle documented as "apud Pruck Lünz" (Bruck near Lienz) is first mentioned on 10 August 1277th In the original components of Bruck Castle is evidence of Roman art have received a Biforienfenster with center column and bud capital in the keep, the painting of the ceiling beams with stylized leaf shapes and rosettes in the "Knight's Hall" and depictions of saints in the soffit of a (bricked) window in the chapel . Than 1500, the last Gorizia, Earl Leonard, died childless, the Bruck Castle King Maximilian I, the future emperor fell by inheritance contract. After one year gave Maximilian the domain of Lienz including the castle for 22,000 florins on "eternal return" solution to Baron Michael von Wolkenstein Rodenegg., The local town fire in 1609 contributed significantly to the economic decline of the family, which ended in 1642 in a bankruptcy. The transfer of the domain of Lienz and the Bruck Castle hence Tyrolean Archduke Ferdinand Karl was the result. The ladies of Haller took over in 1653 the castle, which was the seat of justice in the sequence. A sensational trial was conducted in the interrogation room at Schloss Bruck in the years 1679/80 against the "witch" Emerentia (na) Pichler (in). During the "embarrassing questioning" under torture "confessed" Emerentiana numerous offenses which the death sentence be moved to. This was against the "witch" and two of their children on 25 and 27 September 1680 enforced on the Galgentratte east of Lienz. After the abolition of Haller ladies pen 1783 by Emperor Joseph Schloss Bruck served as the imperial military field hospital, as well as barracks. From 1827, the castle is privately owned freight forwarding office, brewery and guest operating until the last private owner Ottilie Roeck was the Bruck Castle in the years 1911-1913 a total restoration on the basis of Bavarian castles like Neuschwanstein zuführte. Mitzi adopted by her (Mary) Kramer sold the Bruck Castle in 1942. New chatelaine was the town of Lienz, and it has remained so to this day. This is the preliminary culmination in the eventful history of many mistresses and masters and heralds a new era on a Bruck Castle: The former ducal castle became a museum. CASTLE Bruck Museum of Lienz Schlossberg 1, 9900 Lienz Austria Phone: +43 (0) 4852 62580 Fax: +43 (0) 4852 62580-4 email: museum@stadt-lienz.at
Isel Bridge near Fischerwirt, Lienz, Principality Tyrol, District of Lienz, Austria
Lienz Lienz is a medieval town in the Austrian state of Tyrol. It is the administrative centre of the Lienz district, which covers all of East Tyrol. The municipality also includes the cadastral subdivision of Patriasdorf. Lienz is located at the confluence of the rivers Isel and Drava in the Eastern Alps, between the Hohe Tauern mountain range in the north (including the Schober and Kreuzeck groups), and the Gailtal Alps in the south. It is connected with Winklern in Carinthia by the Iselsberg Pass. The neighbouring municipality of Leisach marks the easternmost point of the Puster Valley. By the consistent growth of the city, some smaller villages around - though officially municipalities in their own right - are now widely considered to be suburbs of Lienz. The area of Lienz had been settled since the Bronze Age about 2000 BC. Celtic people lived here from about 300 BC on, mainly as miners, who came under control of the Roman Empire in 15 BC. The area was incorporated into the province of Noricum and Emperor Claudius had a municipium called Aguntum erected near Lienz in the today's municipality of Dölsach. Aguntum became the see of an Early Christian bishop in the 5th century but decayed during the Slavic settlement of the Eastern Alps and the subsequent fights with the Bavarii under King Tassilo I about 600. Part of the Slavic principality of Carantania, the area passed under Bavarian and finally Frankish suzerainty during the 8th century. Bruck Castle Lienz itself was first mentioned as Luenzina in a deed issued by the Bishop of Brixen about 1030. The settlement itself, together with neighbouring Patriasdorf, then belonged of the Patriarchs of Aquileia, who were elevated to immediate landlords by Emperor Henry IV in 1077. It was then purchased by the scions of the Meinhardiner dynasty, who held the office of Aquileian Vögte (reeves) and chose Lienz as a residence. From about 1127 they called themselves Counts of Görz (Gorizia). Located on the important trade route from Venzone in Friuli to Salzburg, the market town of Lienz received city rights on 25 February 1242. In 1278 the Counts finished Burg Bruck, a castle that until 1500 served as their local seat. When the Meinhardiner became extinct in 1500 upon the death of Count Leonhard of Gorizia, their estates were bequeathed to the Habsburg King Maximilian I and finally incorporated into the County of Tyrol. From the status of an Imperial residence, Lienz sank to the insignificance of a provincial town within the Habsburg Monarchy. During the Italian campaigns of the French Revolutionary Wars, Lienz was occupied twice by French troops in 1797. After the Austrian defeat at the Battle of Austerlitz, Lienz with Tyrol passed to the Electorate of Bavaria according to the 1805 Peace of Pressburg. In 1809 it became the administrative centre of a district within the short-lived Napoleonic Illyrian Provinces, but was reconquered by Austrian troops in 1813. Until 1918, the town was again part of the Austrian monarchy (Austria side after the compromise of 1867), head of the district of the same name, one of the 21 Bezirkshauptmannschaften in the Tyrol province.[2] After World War I the southern parts of the former Cisleithanian crown land of Tyrol (i.e. Trentino and South Tyrol) were awarded to the Kingdom of Italy under the terms of the London Pact and the 1919 Treaty of Saint-Germain, making the Lienz district of East Tyrol an exclave with no territorial connection to the mainland of North Tyrol. After the 1938 Anschluss of the Federal State of Austria into Nazi Germany, the Lienz district became a part of the "Reichsgau" of Carinthia. On May 8, 1945 British forces occupied Lienz, which together with Carinthia and Styria became part of the British occupation zone. At this time several thousand members of the former Wehrmacht 1st Cossack Division coming from Yugoslavia had arrived in and around Lienz. They surrendered to the British troops but were forcibly repatriated to the Soviet Union. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lienz
Tristacher lake , Lienzer Dolomiten, Lienz, Austria
Tristacher lake At the foot of the Lienz Dolomites, embedded in forest and meadow, is the only lake in East Tyrol. A popular beach with cafe, beach volleyball court and large lawn on the east side, invites to relaxation and a refreshing swim in a natural environment. From the west bank, directly at the Grand Hotel Lienz with gourmet restaurant, a path leads to the natural monument "Old Lake", which is below the impressive sea wall. Here in this silence grow rare plants and for many small animals and birds, it is a true paradise. To 24 ° C water temperature, tower diving boards, free pool bus from Lienz (from early July to late August), large paid parking on the east bank. This modern hotel on Tristacher Summer holiday in the Dolomites of Lienz Enjoy a wonderful holiday in East Tyrol, at our Grand Hotel Lienz, Lienz. Family cruiser and staff welcome you most cordially and look forward to your visit! Camping Seewiese on Tristacher Camping at Camping Seewiese, a camping Austria in Tyrol. In the heart of the Lienz Dolomites, where camping in Tyrol - East Tyrol is still pure nature. One of Austria's best campsites.